Sunday, February 26, 2012

An Island of Our Own...

Who hasn't dreamed of an island all their own? Kitchen island, that is.

In dreaming up our new kitchen remodel, I was sure that I wanted a rustic kitchen island that was one-of-a-kind, (inspired by images in the previous post). I searched antique stores, flea markets, and estate sales for the perfect piece, and could never find an island that embodied all the character and function that I needed for this particluar space. Knowing that the rustic island had to accommodate barstools on one side, drawer storage on the other, a place for the microwave, a place for the trash bin, and ideally allow for electrical outlets too, I soon came to the realization that this piece might need to be custom made.

But how do you get a new piece to exude age-old character, you ask???
Simple. Build the new piece out of 100+ year old materials!

Where would you be able to do that, you ask???
Simple. Right here at Harvest!

Here are a few images of the custom kitchen island I designed. Please excuse the plywood top. We've had a bit of a mishap with the marble slab that will soon be installed on top. Here's a sneak peek anyway. I'll be sure to post pics of the entire new kitchen as soon as it is complete!

PS: Check out my fab new barstools from Harvest! Love 'em!

My Old Lumber Island...

gotta love the genuine knots and nail holes that make this piece one-of-a-kind


oh plywood top, I can't wait 'til you're gone!

...and the microwave fits right in place (thank god! wheew!)

The trash bin sits just behind this door. I even have a spot for a bottle opener on the side.


Eventually this unsightly white outlet will be replaced with a antique bronze model to match the rest of the hardware.
I'm currently searching for the perfect towel bar for this side as well.


The barstools fit nicely into this nook with plenty of knee space.


I like how the rustic wood juxtaposes the otherwise clean, white cabinets and high polish appliances.


lots of great storage


The drawers run on smooth, full extension glides.


I can't wait to show you the rest of the kitchen when it's all put together!
Stay tuned...

No comments:

Post a Comment