Monday, September 13, 2010

Go Fig-ure

My husband was out of town this weekend, and I didn't feel much like cooking, so I went to Brown's Valley Market to see what I could find in the way of prepared foods. (BTW, Brown's Valley Market is a great neighborhood specialty food store in Napa, --where they display their bakery goods on Harvest's reclaimed wood tables, I might add). I scanned the deli case and felt uninspired, so I walked around looking at their gorgeous produce displays, (it's one of those stores where they actually line up every carrot.) There I found some perfectly-ripened Black Mission Figs, and felt inspired to assemble (rather than cook) my dinner. I picked up some Costello Blue Cheese (my fav) and imported, thinly-sliced prosciutto. I had forgotten about this fantastic combination until it touched my lips; rich, creamy, salty sweet, divine! Very rustic, very fall, very delicious! You should try it too.

  • Slice figs into halves
  • spread a bit of blue cheese on the cut side
  • wrap with prosciutto
  • enjoy!

Some recipes suggest grilling this combo and drizzling with honey and balsamic, which is even better. But, if you're not up for grilling, and you find great quality ingredients, then the three in combination are just right! Pair with a Pinot Noir or Viognier to enhance the flavors.

No comments:

Post a Comment